*Fundamental Courses: Intermediate-level courses that address and reinforce essential information necessary to tackle the daily needs and issues in the average consumer’s insurance portfolio. Fundamental Course requirements may be waived for certain participants. View Exemption Criteria.
**Core Courses: Intermediate- to advanced-level courses that enhance the participant’s understanding of common problems and issues, building their insurance knowledge and expertise over both competitors and coworkers.
Course time runs 8:00 am to 4:00 pm., including a one-hour essay exam at the end, centered on material presented that day.
- To earn the complete AILP designation, when taking both PL and CL courses at the same time, all required coursework must be completed within six (6) years.
- To earn a monoline designation (either AILP/PL or AILP/CL), all required coursework must be completed within four (4) years.
- Once an AILP designation has been obtained, you can immediately use the designation.
- You may obtain one monoline designation first and then add on the other to reach the complete designation.
To retain the ability to utilize the designation, the designee must perform a yearly (calendar year) update which can include any multi-day, full-day, or 2 partial-day courses that total at least six (6) continuing education (CE) credits; that are intermediate to advanced in nature (i.e., programs that discuss policy issues, not those that just review policy coverages*); and offered through MAIA.
For AILP/CL designees, the renewal course must be in commercial lines. For AILP/PL designees, it must be in personal lines. If you have earned the complete AILP designation, your renewal course can be in either commercial or personal lines.
*Examples of Qualifying Renewal Classes
- AILP Issues Programs (but NOT AILP Coverage Programs)
- Homeowners Issues (but NOT Homeowners Coverage)
- Deep Dive Into WC (but NOT Workers Compensation Coverage)
- CIC-Ruble Graduate Seminars (but NOT CIC Institutes)
- CISR-William T. Hold [WTH] Seminars (but NOT CISR Classes)
- MLIS Programs (but NOT AAI Programs)
When registering for a program for designation renewal, please indicate “AILP Renewal” next to your name. If it is a virtual class, please email the Education Team Member for that class and inform them of your renewal intentions.
If unsure, please contact MAIA’s Education Team prior to the class.
Online Exam Information – for Webinar AILP Classes Only
- The online exam will open at 3:30 PM on the day of the class, and close at 3:30 PM the following day. You may take it any time within that timeframe, but once you start, you will have 60 minutes to complete it.
- You will need to have a disinterested third-party proctor to monitor you while taking the online exam and sign an affidavit.
- On the day of the exam, you will receive an email with exam access information and a downloadable Affidavit form. Prior to taking the exam, please review the Affidavit and fill out the top of the form. The proctor will then need to complete and sign the bottom of the form.