| Solar Panels & the Homeowners Policy
with Irene Morrill, CPCU, CIC, CRM, CRIS, CPIW, LIA, ARM, MAIA's Vice President of Technical Affairs
Solar panels certainly aren't new but are fast becoming a regular fixtures on roofs, fields and highway median strips in Massachusetts. In this episode of Massagent Now, Irene looks at things you should be thinking about when it comes to solar panels and the homeowners policy.
- Who owns the panels? Who is legally responsible for them? Who has the insurable interest?
- Are they considered part of the dwelling, an other structure or personal property?
- What is the value? and is there enough coverage in parts A, B or C?
- How is the homeowner being compensated, if at all? Could this be considered a business, requiring proper endorsements?
- If your home owners are having panels installed it's time to look at the contract, call the carrier and ask these questions.
Thanks for listening to this Episode of the Massagent NOW Podcast. A new way for Massachusetts agents to get the latest in insurance, business and legislative information. At approximately 10 - 20 minutes in length, you'll find "bite-sized" pieces of topical information that you can take on the go. Listen in an audio only format or watch the video series on our youtube channel. Let us know what topics you'd like to hear next. Contact Melissa at email@example.com.
The content in the Massagent NOW Podcast is designed to provide accurate and authoritative information regarding the subject matter covered. It is provided with the understanding that the presenter is not engaged in rendering legal, accounting or other professional service. If legal advice or other expert assistance is required, the services of a competent, professional person should be sought.